WHAT IS LIVESTRONG at the YMCA?
In 2008, the YMCA partnered with the LIVESTRONG© Foundation to help cancer survivors begin the journey toward recovery with the LIVESTRONG at the YMCA program. Part of the Y’s commitment to strengthening community through healthy living, the program offers adults affected by cancer a safe, supportive environment to participate in physical and social activities focused on strengthening the whole person.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA focuses on you—the whole person—not the disease. This FREE 12-week small group program is designed for adult cancer survivors and uses traditional exercise methods to ease you back into fitness and help you maintain a healthy weight.
This program offers:
- Two 90– minute structured classes per week with our Livestrong Coaches
- A FREE 12 week Adult membership
- Full access to the Ocean Community YMCA and its amenities, seven days per week
- Program Goals
- Improve energy levels and self-esteem
- Build muscle mass and strength
- Increasing flexibility and endurance
- Improve functional ability to do everyday tasks
- Reduce the side effects of treatment and mitigate weight fluctuation
- Develop an ongoing physical fitness program as part of your recovery journey to a healthy lifestyle
Plus, learn about wellness, stress reduction techniques and how to continue healthful habits after the program has ended.
Just as important, LIVESTRONG at the YMCA encourages a warm spirit of community—a safe, comfortable place for you to build companionship with others affected by cancer and share stories and inspiration.
Taking It at Your Own Pace
No one experiences cancer in the same way. Participants come to the program with different physical challenges and lifestyle goals. LIVESTRONG at the YMCA provides you with individualized attention and an approach to recovery that targets the areas you need to rebuild. There’s no competition here—physical activities are tailored to match only what you’re able to accomplish.
September 27th, 2022– December 15th, 2022
Registration ends Friday, September 9th, 2022
90 Minute Classes
Tuesdays and Thursdays
Class times coming soon.
To register and for more information, please contact:
Health and Wellness Director